Thursday 10 July 2008

From the woodwork

...this roach does crawl, and proud to say:
I'm Still Here!!

Missed this place....I would like to say writer's-block, but the truth is that putting shit down still freaks me out. But today...Fuck!! Can't seem to construct a single clear thought in my head.

Oh, Facebook says i'm a genius, which is kinda cool. But then that also means that i'm an under achiever....but hey, i'm still on the "certifiably genius" bit. Shall meet Einstein in Geek Heaven or some shit like that.

Onto something serious....Fuel in Kenya. Noticed how we've lost the last 'cent' on the pumps? What i mean is that all pump displays have a five character entry system, yaani 9 9 . 8 9 (five characters including the point). So, ideally, fuel could be priced from 99.80, 99.81, 99.82, 99.83....99.89. Hope you following my drift.
At current fuel prices of over ksh100, the same five character system is still being used... 100.8 yaani 1 0 0 . 8 (again, five characters including the point). What does this imply.....if the fuel company has done their costing and come up with a price of ksh100.82, they can only put in five characters......ksh100.8 But that's just it. By losing the last cent, and fuel companies being like banks (greedy as sin!!), they don't truncate, but round up....always up. Ksh100.82 becomes Ksh100.9. Each individual who fuels up at the station gives and extra 8 cents per litre (coz the company shall be damned if they lost 2 cents per litre). If the company has a smart accountant, he can do all the costings and returns at Ksh100.82 and pocket the extra 8 cents.
What is 8 cents u ask? I drive averagely, yet consume about 40 litres per week each month, so that's 8*40*4 = 1280cents or 12.8sh. If the station has a regular clientel of about 100cars per day (which is low), thats bout 3000 cars per month, so ksh12.8*3000 = Ksh38,400 per month, per service station...that can be adequately hidden in the books....a guy can make an easy kill from just five stations.
Oh, the missus works for an oil company, but what the hey...i love the controversy.

Facebook.....what's with that site....had totally dismissed it, but now i'm kiasi hooked. It's brought back alot of memories coz of meeting guys that i haven't seen in ages...some since primary (gotta say, some of these primo mamas have now ivad...n some of the ones i nyemelad are kinda just kawa).

Cellspin is a software that i had installed on my Nokia E90 (yawa!!) but it kept having glitches, as is evidenced by the trial posts below...i shall leave them there to remind me to keep trying to engage the mobile software thing.

Oh, i'm typing all this nonsense n my boss is right next to me....he's doing the crossword...it's a slow day like that.

Anywhoo, gotta jet now (n edit this post so that it looks neat)


p.s: I've just realised that i got me an afro coz somehow i have developed a morbid fear of barbers...especially since my last experience where i was charged ksh200 for someone to try play surgeon with my scalp. The horror. The experience before that was just as bad, but that was a ksh50 bob barber, so no hard feelings for him...i need to find me a good hair dresser....or i could just knock back afew tots viceroybefore i approach one.

p.p.s: haven't seen my housemate in quite abit coz of different work schedules and i've been spending quite alot of time with my gal.

p.p.p.s: i love my gal!

p.p.p.p.s: Tempted to rant about the cigarette ban implemented by my ex-aunt-in-law-twice removed, but shall do that anutha day.

No comments: